Towards a framework to prevent and respond to children with Harmful Sexual Behaviours
Associate Professor Dominiek Coates
Dr Natalia Krzyzaniak
Dr Joe Tucci
Background and Aim
Funded by the National Office for Child Safety (NOCS), this study will contribute to the development of a theory or framework to prevent and respond to children with harmful sexual behaviours (HSB), that includes:
- an understanding of the diversity of children and young people with HSB
- emerging good or new practice for responding to and supporting children with HSB to inform future pilot and evaluation programs
- an understanding of how best to tailor assessment tools, therapeutic interventions and clinical frameworks to meet the needs of all children and young people with HSB.
Since there is currently no existing theory or framework to prevent and respond to children with HSB, this study adopts exploratory and discovery-oriented approaches to develop a framework from ‘the ground up’.
Data collection and analysis phases will include:
- service mapping
- approximately 40 key informant interviews
- a targeted systematic literature review.
- Harmful sexual behaviours